11/14/2008

Week 8 * Thing 14

Well, so far I think I've had about a fifty percent success rate with Del.icio.us. In comparison with our friend Mr. Google, it worked brilliantly for researching people, but not so well for terms with potentially more than one meaning (Twelfth Night the holiday, as opposed to Twelfth Night the Shakespearean play; or The Kippers the satirical folk band, as opposed to The Kippers, a new British term for adult children who live at home [Kids In Parents' Pockets Eroding Retirement Savings]). I am more than willing to assume that this is because I haven't learned how to refine my searches sufficiently, and that it will become more useful as I learn.

I very much fear that one of the long-term results of this research will be a future of unkind remarks from a younger household member. He approached the computer as a Del.icio.us link to a YouTube video about Norwegian Reds, a breed of cows in which I have recently become interested, was unfolding as some kind of AI tutorial. "And people complain about ME wasting time on YouTube!" he says. He was particularly taken by the "Thank you for viewing" message at the end. I can pretty much guarantee that he will still be picking on me about this until I am too old to be satisfying to harass.


No comments: